Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Buffalo Mountain in Virginia - Home of Puto kosztarabi.




One of my favorite places is "The Buffalo Mountain" it is one of the most significant natural areas in Virginia, the elevation is 3,971 feet and it has public access facilities include a small parking area and a steep 1 mile hiking trail to the treeless summit. The mountain contains wildflowers, grasses, and rocks on the summit.
Buffalo Mountain is also the only known location in the world for a giant mealybug called Puto kosztarabi, though I haven't seen this creature yet.

Me and my husband used to climb Buffalo Mountain together with Dino and Bandit 3 - 5 times a year especially during winter time when the weather ain't too bad. I wanted to go there during summer but my husband doesn't like that idea because he is worried about snakes and too grassy., We're planning to climb there again this coming fall when the tress/leaves change into different colors.

No comments: